Monday, August 19, 2013

The anxiety of being

As my departure date nears, I think of all the times I have told myself "I am ready". I think of all the times I have mentally willed myself into doing something well beyond my comfort zone. Take driving, for instance (I still dont have my license because I am scared of driving). What ultimately allowed me to get on the drivers side of the car and drive the car around was going into the activity without overthinking it. So I could simply not overthink this whole Morocco thing. And it's not that I'm having cold feet, its the fact my leaving is only now beginning to set in.

All of my closest (aside from one) friends leave this week. People who have helped me come to the decision to apply for the scholarship, people who have had my back all throughout high school, and people I love dearly are leaving for college. It's hard to stomach the fact that I won't be seeing them for nine full months, but this is why Skype exists. I know, people who have gone through the "friends all leaving" experience will tell me that I will make new friends and what not, but its still sad to see everyone go. I guess this post has kind of turned into a goodbye post to my friends as well, so be it. I know that each and everyone of my friends will have a wonderful time in college, and enjoy their experience. I am excited to hear about their experiences and live vicariously through them for some time, until I get to Tufts.

Anywho done with the sad part of this post. There is more information on my trip! I got my flight itinerary (a bit late, because there were mistypes in the email address, but I got it nonetheless). I'll be flying NONSTOP (this is very exciting) to DC. Then a few days later we ship out to Paris, and then Casablanca. I do not know why we aren't going to Marrakesh, but everyone else in the group received the same email, so I'm assuming the state department knows what it's doing. Now that I actually have information, the trip has gotten much more real for me.

I'll leave this blog post (as I must get to packing at some point..you know...since I'm leaving for 9 months and all) with a sliver of wisdom: if you don't step outside of your comfort zone, you'll never discover that what you thought may be uncomfortable, actually feels like the most right thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment