Morocco is filled with strange things, including people. Tonight I had the pleasure to go to the Marrakech Film Festival. We watched a movie called Traitors which was a wonderful Moroccan-American movie about drug smuggling in Morocco. Then a couple friends and I walked over to Jamaa el Fna and watched Martin Scorsese present Hugo, and we watched Hugo.
It wasn't the movie that shocked me, more so the people that were watching. As we watched, my friends and I noticed a man standing in front of us. As I looked down, I saw his hand caressing a young boys ass (for lack of better word). This man was in his mid twenties, and this boy was around the age of 9 or 10. I was shocked. Fortunately, this young boy turned around and noticed. The man didn't leave, he just moved to be directly in front of me. At this point, two of my friends and I were keeping a close watch on this man. There was an even younger boy in front of him. Worried for his safety, I told him to move in front of another man who was watching over these kids. Finally the man left. What really surprised me was that the police who had seen the whole thing did nothing. More than surprise me, it angered me.
Thankfully nothing terrible happened.
As we waited for Martin Scorsese to come on stage to present his movie, a very catchy song came on. We asked the guys behind us who sang it, and they told us Fnaire. Turns out, this is a Moroccan band that sings in Darija, the local Moroccan dialect.
Here's one of their songs!
It wasn't the movie that shocked me, more so the people that were watching. As we watched, my friends and I noticed a man standing in front of us. As I looked down, I saw his hand caressing a young boys ass (for lack of better word). This man was in his mid twenties, and this boy was around the age of 9 or 10. I was shocked. Fortunately, this young boy turned around and noticed. The man didn't leave, he just moved to be directly in front of me. At this point, two of my friends and I were keeping a close watch on this man. There was an even younger boy in front of him. Worried for his safety, I told him to move in front of another man who was watching over these kids. Finally the man left. What really surprised me was that the police who had seen the whole thing did nothing. More than surprise me, it angered me.
Thankfully nothing terrible happened.
As we waited for Martin Scorsese to come on stage to present his movie, a very catchy song came on. We asked the guys behind us who sang it, and they told us Fnaire. Turns out, this is a Moroccan band that sings in Darija, the local Moroccan dialect.
Here's one of their songs!
Also, my friends and I decided that it was worth it to get tickets for the final matches of the Club World Cup. We got them, and I couldn't be more excited. Insha'allah one of the matches will be Bayern (representing Europe) vs. Mineiro (representing South America). I'll let you know how those games go!
Bsalama for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment