Do not wear shorts or sleeveless blouses in public unless you are at the beach. Even there, do not wear two-piece bathing suits. The only exception to this is at a five-star resort on its private beach -- if it has one. Don't wear excessive amounts of make-up, and be relatively circumspect in your approach to local men. Steady eye-contact and broad smiles are highly unwise and may lead to unpleasant encounters-Oman adive to touristsSo this was kind of what I had expected. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to wear a headscarf, or if would be considered an excess. I've looked in a bunch of different sources, and some say to wear a lihaf(headscarf type thing) or a shayla. From the different blogs I've read, older women wear burkas. I'm not entirely sure what would be considered respectful to wear, but I hope I'll find out soon enough (:
Also, I found a source saying that you can be arrested for drinking water in public during Ramadan (the month of August)...time to start training to not drink much water!
Overall, I am so so so excited for this :)))

I've lived in Oman since I was five years old and have never had to wear a headscarf. Oman isn't like Saudi where women regardless of their religions have to cover up. You only have to wear a scarf if you're visiting a mosque. Also I'm not sure if you'd actually get arrested for drinking water in public during Ramadan but it's highly frowned upon.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck and enjoy your time, Oman is a beautiful country
xx
Nina