Monday, February 3, 2014

Honestly

Trust is something I've always held dear to me. When the State Department chose me as a candidate for the NSLI-Y scholarship, I assumed this meant they trusted me. They trusted me enough to be a language scholar and to uphold the rules set in place by them. This I have done, but what frustrates me the most about this program is the lack of trust between the smaller players. Between the implenting facility in country and the students. Between the individuals that are responsible for the students and the students. One would think that they would trust us enough to believe us when we make certain claims. The complete and utter lack of trust infuriates me. The simple fact of the matter is that one should just listen and take into consideration what we are saying. If someone simply ignores what we, the students HAND PICKED by the State Department, have to say it not only demonstrates a childish attitude, but also a lack of maturity. Of course, one doesn't have to believe what we have to say on the spot, but I thought it was common courtesy to just listen. 

I guess I never expected to not be trusted; I never expected that my actions would be questioned. I would expect the trust from the State Department to be carried on by the resident director and the place of learning in country. 

As much as the State Department tries to make your stay a most pleasurable and hospitable one (which they have done and I am very grateful), it is oftentimes the indivduals not affiliated with the State Department that make you question whether you really want to be here or not. 

Bsalama for now (and insha'allah, the next post will be more upbeat. I just felt that this was in issue I wanted to address. Hopefully this doesn't cause any further issues, I'm just glad this is out in the open now). 

No comments:

Post a Comment