Tuesday, February 11, 2014

On: North of Morocco

On Sunday night we got back from our trip to Tangier, Tetouan and Chefchaouen. I absolutely LOVED Tangier. I have to say that after Marrakech (home will always be home) it is my favorite city in Morocco. What I found most interesting, however, was the significant differences between the faces of Moroccans from the South and Moroccans from the North. The people in the North are lighter (probably from mixed European background) and there just isn't this distinct "Morccan shab" face that I am so used to seeing in Marrakech.
The North ( I have no idea if I should be capitalizing the N in north but oh well) is alot greener. As in there are actual trees, as opposed to the few orange trees ever so present in Marrakech. There are actual pine trees and so many eucalyptus trees. I enjoy the fact that the North looks alot more like the rolling hills where the happy Californian cows live than the South. Morocco is a very diverse country, not only in people but also in the topography and geography of the country. That is one thing that I absolutely love about Morocco.

Lets seee...more about the trip. The drive was very very long, and in Tangier we went and visited the only piece of American land overseas! It's called the American Legation Museum. It was very interesting, and we were actually on American soil, which was interesting to think about.

As of this friday, we will only have three months left. I am both excited by this number and terrified. Today my host sister came back from an interview in Rabat and we had a wonderful talk in which we really connected. This reminded me how hard it will be to leave this country, more than the country it will be hard to leave this family. They have accepted me as one of their own, and I love them to death for it. When I came back from the North, I was greeted by an extensive amount of hugs from my youngest host sister and host mother. My youngest host sister actually ran down the stairs to say hi to me and hugged me for quite a while. I was also quite happy to be back home.
I may have mentioned this previously, but I feel like I can truly call my house here my home. Today I tried to explain the concept of a "home" to my host mother, with the help of my host sister. For me, home means where I feel completely at ease with the people. I feel completely at ease in my host family, I don't feel awkward at all. Writing this is also helping me process what leaving will mean. I will, however, cross that bridge when it comes.

Bsalama for now!
(Also clarification about the last post: the events mentioned didn't directly affect me. Sorry about that confusion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment