Monday, March 10, 2014

Feminism.

"I am tired of playing the role of the Approachable Feminist - the woman expected to hold the hand of all those people who still, in the year 2014, claim not to understand what it is that causes women's oppression; who demand to be convinced even of its existence and who then, when you cite fact after statistic after anecdotal report after reality, still use diversions and hypotheticals to try to prove you wrong."
-http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-07/ford-dont-get-even-ladies-get-mad/5304704

I am tired, I am tired of having to justify my reasoning behind being a feminist. I'm tired of hearing other women say that females are the enemy. I'm tired of hearing excuses for every single thing a man does, mostly attributing it to the fact that he is a "boy" and "boys will be boys". This is not an excuse, this is nowhere near ok.
In this day and age, you would think that everyone would be a feminist, but there is still so much stigma against the word feminist. No, we are not bra-burning women who believe in the castration of men, no we do not want to destroy the institution of marriage and live on free love communes, no we are not all hippies prancing in meadows. We are students, we are mothers, we are your sisters and your daughters. We want the playing field to be leveled. We want to be able to compete with our brothers in a manner that doesn't always have to bring our gender into question. We want to work in STEM related fields. We want to make one dollar to every mans dollar. Enough with this 77 cent bullshit.
Being a feminist only means believing that men and women are equal, and should be equal in the eyes of society.
Do you believe in the complete equality of men and women?
If you answered yes to that question, you are a feminist. BE PROUD.
SURPRISE.


No comments:

Post a Comment