Monday, May 21, 2012

More information about the Omani trip?!!!?

So I just had the conference call. It was super informative, and all the girls (and their parents) seemed really nice, so this trip will be fun, and a great experience for all of us.
  1. There are a total of 15 girls going, no guys
  2. The manual/manuscript/whatever else I've called it/Pre-departure guide (the actual name!) will be coming out this week, or in two weeks
  3.  Computers are allowed, so I can continue blogging!!
  4. We will be in school (at the Amideast center) for four hours a day, and the rest of the time is spent either interacting with Omani youth, going around Muscat, or...doing homework, not a new thing for Lowell students.
  5.  During the weekends, we will be either going around the Muscat area, or in other places in Oman to visit the country and learn more about the Omani culture as a whole.
  6. For the first three weeks, we will be staying in a hotel, since we get to Oman about two and a half weeks before the beginning of Ramadan, and finding families that stay in Oman during that time to host us is virtually impossible. During the last three weeks, we will be staying with a host family, one who has either hosted an American student before through YES Abroad, or one that has children that are part of certain Omani youth programs.
  7. Skinny jeans=big no no. But on the other hand, in Oman, the average daily temperature during the summer can go well above 110 degrees Fahrenheit...so why would I want to wear skinny jeans? Skirts have to be mid-calf or lower, and no spaghetti strap shirts, you have to always keep the shoulders covered.
  8. During Ramadan, we are not expected to fast, but I kind of want to, just to experience Omani culture as a whole. 
  9. There's a law in Oman, I can't remember the name, but it has to do with not saying anything derogatory towards Oman or anyone in Oman. I think it's a really interesting law, and I'm not too worried about breaking it. Also, swearing, even out of anger, falls under this law. 
  10. We will be flying from Washington DC with United(joynotactuallythough) until Frankfurt, which, in my opinion, isn't a very easy airport to navigate, and from Frankfurt we're transferring to a flight that will bring us to Saudi Arabia, and then from there to Muscat. My mom, being a good Italian asked the program director if they were going to feed us after getting to Oman, apparently they aren't, so I can expect my mother to give me A LOT of food for when we get to Muscat.
  11. Also, we're going to be meeting either the Ambassador to Oman (US) or the staff that work in the Embassy in Oman..!!!!!
  12. I'm super duper uber excited!!!!!!!! Yea that's about it. 
So I have officially 40 days until I leave for DC, and 43 days until I leave for Oman. 




No comments:

Post a Comment