I will make this super easy for you readers. A neat list :D
- For the first three weeks, we'll be living in hotel apartments with five beds, a kitchen area, wireless internet (!!!!!), living space, and a washing machine. Breakfast will be provided, lunch at the Amideast center, and dinner is our responsibility. (They trust us to feed ourselves, basically) Oh and there's a gym on the 5th floor.
- For the last three weeks we'll be living in a host family, and we will know who we are placed with (probably) when we get to Oman
- We are going to have to take a language pledge, in which we promise to only speak in Arabic (after the first week) during our stay in Oman...unless..you know, we're dying or something.
- School: We will be divided into beginners and advanced-beginners. Also, we will have to do community service, which consists of volunteering at the "English Language Camp" <---This to me is super exciting. Because we get to learn Arabic and Omani culture, but we also get to give back, as cheesy as that sounds
- Skype is blocked, but I've already ranted about this :P
- Internet is slower in Oman, but it's there
- Jeans, khakis or linen pants
- Long skirts (ankle length or mid calf)
- Sandals!
- Shoulders must be covered at all times
- Basically, dress modestly, because we (the girls going on this trip) are representing the US and we should respect their culture and customs.
- Cardigans to cover shoulders
- Scarvessssss. I shall bring my collection
- Omani money is the riyal(OMR), and that is divided into 1000 baiza
- The exchange rate as of March 2012 was $1=0.385 OMR
- The omani workweek is Saturday to Wednesday, so they have Thursday and Friday off rather than Saturday and Sunday
- Friendships form quickly, and Omanis who view you as their friend often treat you as they would treat their Omani friends.
- Eating/passing food is often and almost always done with ones right hand.
- I'm bringing my laptop and camera, so expect pictures and updates to come!
That's about all...I'm super excited. It's so close, I just want to go and begin learning Arabic and such: :)

No comments:
Post a Comment