It's true. I don't know how I managed at all, given the amount of stuff that I've bought. I can't pack my emotions and memories though, that would take more than the surface area of the entire globe.
As I was packing yesterday, I realized that I needed a carry on, because I only brought my backpack (stupidly, yes mom, I should have listened to you). So I mentioned this to my host family, and they gave me a bright green and bright blue duffle bag, that fits everything. Despite its color (those used to be my favorite colors, I have a pair of bright green jeans, believe it or not), this duffle bag will be a reminder of my host family, one of the many. They've been so nice and sweet and helpful to me during these three weeks. I can't believe that my time in Oman is coming to close. It's exciting, because I get to come back home with a fresh perspective on everything, and sad because I'll be leaving all the friends and people I've met here. Insha'allah, I will come back and spend more time in this wonderful timeless country.
I've learned so much about Omani culture, Islam, American culture, and so much about myself that I cannot believe how much a brain can hold. Before leaving for this trip, my friends and family kept telling me that I would be different when I came back, having experienced many different emotions and seen diverse ways of life. I didn't believe them; I knew that I wouldn't change at all because I was so sure of who I was. But I did change (I know that if you were one of those individuals, you're probabaly thinking "told you so"), and I changed alot. I cannot begin to explain how, because I don't know how much I've changed, this shows you how little I knew myself before hand. And yes, I am going cliche here, the typical "I found myself on an exchange program" feeling. I didn't "find" myself per se, but I did learn alot more about myself, and what I actually enjoy and want to learn, now what I thought I wanted to learn and thought I liked.
The 14 girls I was placed with have also changed the way I think and act. At first they were strangers, then classmates, the friends, and finally, family. They have taught me so much about themselves, myself, life and laughter. The memories will never be forgotten, and the time we spent together will be cherished forever.
Hannah, you are truly an amazing person for putting up with the 15 buckets of crazy that you were handed. You put up with us through sickness and health (literally) as well as tears and smiles. You made this trip very worthwhile and fun, adding your own zest to it.
Amideast (Katy, Fatin, Zainab, Steve); you guys were the backbone of this program, and you guys made it happen. I cannot thank you enough. You guys helped with everything, and made this program run smoothly and made it an adventure for everyone.
So ma salama Oman, the country that I have fallen in love with. I will return (insha'allah), so be prepared for me. The aspiring polyglot will not settle for one trip to this wonderful country.
As I was packing yesterday, I realized that I needed a carry on, because I only brought my backpack (stupidly, yes mom, I should have listened to you). So I mentioned this to my host family, and they gave me a bright green and bright blue duffle bag, that fits everything. Despite its color (those used to be my favorite colors, I have a pair of bright green jeans, believe it or not), this duffle bag will be a reminder of my host family, one of the many. They've been so nice and sweet and helpful to me during these three weeks. I can't believe that my time in Oman is coming to close. It's exciting, because I get to come back home with a fresh perspective on everything, and sad because I'll be leaving all the friends and people I've met here. Insha'allah, I will come back and spend more time in this wonderful timeless country.
I've learned so much about Omani culture, Islam, American culture, and so much about myself that I cannot believe how much a brain can hold. Before leaving for this trip, my friends and family kept telling me that I would be different when I came back, having experienced many different emotions and seen diverse ways of life. I didn't believe them; I knew that I wouldn't change at all because I was so sure of who I was. But I did change (I know that if you were one of those individuals, you're probabaly thinking "told you so"), and I changed alot. I cannot begin to explain how, because I don't know how much I've changed, this shows you how little I knew myself before hand. And yes, I am going cliche here, the typical "I found myself on an exchange program" feeling. I didn't "find" myself per se, but I did learn alot more about myself, and what I actually enjoy and want to learn, now what I thought I wanted to learn and thought I liked.
The 14 girls I was placed with have also changed the way I think and act. At first they were strangers, then classmates, the friends, and finally, family. They have taught me so much about themselves, myself, life and laughter. The memories will never be forgotten, and the time we spent together will be cherished forever.
Hannah, you are truly an amazing person for putting up with the 15 buckets of crazy that you were handed. You put up with us through sickness and health (literally) as well as tears and smiles. You made this trip very worthwhile and fun, adding your own zest to it.
Amideast (Katy, Fatin, Zainab, Steve); you guys were the backbone of this program, and you guys made it happen. I cannot thank you enough. You guys helped with everything, and made this program run smoothly and made it an adventure for everyone.
So ma salama Oman, the country that I have fallen in love with. I will return (insha'allah), so be prepared for me. The aspiring polyglot will not settle for one trip to this wonderful country.
have you gotten used to the heat? - & another vlog?
ReplyDeleteI got used to the heat, but now I'm back home.
DeleteSorry no more vlogs, I have little to say.
Now that I'm back home, I have to focus on other things.
I believe you are a polygot, dear, and not an aspiring one.
ReplyDelete<3
Delete