Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Finally in oman!

We finally arrived!!!
 Here's a wonderful run down of our flight to get to Oman
Also, blogger is now configured in Arabic, so I'm typing backwards and it's very confusing and there will be no periods in this post because I do not know how to work this...its so confusing! So here is how our flight went down. 
We got to DC, but the plane was delayed for three hours, first due to mechanical failures, and then due to weather mishaps. So instead of leaving at 7:05 pm, we left at like...11 pm. Wasn't very fun. But our connection in Frankfurt was only one hour and forty minutes long, so we missed that. I apparently crashed during the flight. I didn't eat at all because I was so tired, which is why I am able to write this post at 3 in the morning. 
Second point of business, we got to Frankfurt at around 2 pm (this is European time) and we had been re-scheduled for a flight during the next day for Muscat. But there was a flight leaving at 2::15 for Muscat, and by some magical means, we got on that flight. Ok so the food was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. It was way better than any airplane food I had ever had. I was shocked, and super happy because I hadn't eaten anything on the previous flight. 
So we get to Muscat at around 11 pm Muscat time, but this one girl, Julie, gets really sick :( (I think she's ok now) but it was semi frightening. We go to baggage claims...and our bag weren't checked into Muscat...fun! So hopefully we'll get them soon enough, hoping that the bags get in with the flight we were supposed to be on tomorrow night, inshallah. Also, it's currently 37 degrees Celsius...and it's 3 am. Yesterday was about 53 degrees Celsius during the day. Not excited. 

(Here's a wonderful picture of the food on Oman Air)

Also, when we got out of customs at Muscat International, there was this line of men just standing outside waiting for people. And they all stared. Each of them stared at us. I tried to not look at them, it was slightly awkward, but it was entertaining to see how they reacted to a group of non Omani girls walking out of the airport. 
I have definitely made eye contact with many men here, and it's extremely difficult for me because I'm so used to always making eye contact with people in the US, but in Oman, eye contact with the opposite gender is often frowned upon, so I need to work on that. 

I'm worried that we won't get our luggage in time, and if that is the case...I'll just wear the same thing over and over again. How sanitary :P

Being on those flights was interesting. The people on the flight from DC to Frankfurt were not Omanis (that I knew of) so the customs were similar. But on Oman air, none of the men looked at women and all the flight attendents were very nterested in why there was such a laarge group of girls travelling to Oman. We must have explained about 20 times that we're a group of high school students who are travelling there to study Arabic. 

From the little driving around we did (to get to the hotel), we saw a very tiny portion on Muscat. Despite the face that it was 2 am when we were driving around, there were still a large amount of people out and about. I saw a lot of Omani men walking around, and almost all the lights were on in the various houses. I guess people weren't exagerating when they said Omanis stay out late. 

Well I'm off to bed (for real now)..well maybe I'll eat first. I'm so hungry for some reason...
Ciao!

           


2 comments:

  1. the arabic format happened to me too! you can just change it back to english, it's on the left corner

    ReplyDelete