From the minute I met Ola and Sausan, I felt at home. They
both have the kindest of hearts and are very sweet girls. I didn’t feel awkward
around them at all, in fact, I feel very much like a part of their family.
Their family consist of five children. Ola the oldest, 18; Sausan my official
host sister, 17; Hussain and Adnan, the younger shy brothers that thought that
all Americans had blonde hair and blue eyes, and finally, Joud (Joudy, as the
sisters like to call her), a sweet, adorable and smart little girl. She speaks
English very well for her age.
I haven’t officially met Adnan because he is very shy.
Apparently he came into my room (that I share with Ola and Sausan) while I was
getting ready for bed, and looked at my suitcase and asked what it was, but as
soon as he heard the lock turn, he ran out of my room. He is very very shy…
Their mother speaks only Arabic, and is in the process of
learning English and German. I haven’t met the father yet, but I think I will
meet him today. The other thing about Omani families that they had warned us
about was that they never sleep during Ramadan. I didn’t fully believe them
until now. We didn’t get to sleep last night until 4:30, and I didn’t even take
part in the Suhour!
The mother, Samiya, told me that she will not let me leave
the house without eating breakfast, despite the fact that it is Ramadan and
they won’t be eating, and that we have breakfast provided for us at the
center. See what I mean about family?
Right now I’m sitting in bet (it’s noon) and I think the
rest of the house is asleep, but I also think that I found the perfect time to
study, write on my blog, and read for summer reading. When I told Ola that I
had summer homework, she was puzzled.
“Aren’t you on summer break?”
“Yea..”
“Well then you
shouldn’t have homework!”
You hear that American school system? Even in Oman they
think that summer homework is ridiculous!
Another funny point. When I was unpacking, Ola was telling
me that I needed pants, because it would be weird to have the American wearing
long (hippie) skirts while the Omani girls are more fashionable than that. I
think I have a lot to learn about fashion...fun stuff :P
Oh and I think I will be getting a haircut sometime soon
because I mentioned to Sausan that I needed to cut my hair…so to the hair
dressers we go!
Overall, my sisters are very sweet and very fashion aware.
These three weeks will be good, I’m excited to see what else there is…
Today I’m going to meet Ola’s best friend..(I forget her
name). We talked to her yesterday on the phone, she seemed VERY excited to meet
the “American girl”…woot woot
Off to study for my FGLL test while this house sleeps..
Ooh haircut.
ReplyDeleteThey sound really amazing! I'm so glad that it's working out! I laugh so hard at the skirt thing though :D I like hippy skirts. I like how you're talking on the phone too :D