Today was jam packed with fun!
We woke up at around 9, and I had a slight dilemma. I couldn't find my shoes anywhere. This is a problem, because unlike at home, I only have 2 pairs of shoes here. Oh well. I still can't find them...hopefully they're in the room somewhere :/
Anywho, we first headed to the American embassy. We went with a taxi, and he initially brought us to the English Embassy...which was slightly funny. Oh and on the way to the embassy, the song "Down" came on the radio and EVERYONE was singing along. It was great.
We got to the embassy, and that proved to be slightly exciting. We got briefed by some foreign service officials about security, Ramadan and the American Embassy in Muscat. They were all very helpful and nice, but I felt that the take home message was "If you get arrested, you're on your own", not that any of us would ever be arrested, inshallah.
After that, we finally got to Amideast! For those of you who do not know, Amideast is NSLI-Y's partner in Oman and in Morocco. (Hi Katy!!! I know you're reading this) The coordinators are awesome people. We got there, and had lunch. I apparently cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of spicy food, as I have found out here. Everything is SO spicy. In reality, it's really not, I just cannot tolerate it...oops. We also finally met our wonderful teachers. They are honestly some of the awesomest people I have met here....I also haven't met that many people :P
We proceeded to take our placement tests. Here is how mine went:
Do you speak any Arabic?
Nope.
None at all?
None.
Ok. Why did you decide to do this program?
Because I absolutely love learning new languages...
What other languages do you speak?
Italian, English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
So you wanna learn them all?
YES. I want to learn all the languages.
Why Arabic?
Because I've wanted to learn it since middle school, kinda always seemed mysterious to me.
So are you better at memorization or understanding?
Memorization for sure, but I can also understand...most of the time
And that was that. We then broke up into our FGLLS. (Hi Jerry, we all know you love this word). It is the Facilitated Group Language Learning. We are separated into 3 different groups and each group is "moderated" by an Omani college student. Our FGLL person is SUPER sweet, she taught us so much Arabic today (only the pronunciation since we don't know the alphabet yet). My favorite word is "goodluck" We laughed for about a good 5 minutes when she pronounced it. I don't think the State Department would approve of me transliterating it on my blog...(I know you're watching), so I won't. But it's quite funny.
After the super duper amazingly fun lesson, we went on a city tour. It was pretty fun, and we went to SO many places..that were still in Muscat. It's so spread out along the coast, I had no idea.
We went to a beach, and I took some pictures of Omani guys playing soccer, and some other ones..
This little coffee shop was on the beach, and Omanis LOVE mountain dew so much...it's quite funny
This is my favorite picture, these men standing at the beach just talking. I love it...and I can't explain why.
Then we went to the Souk, and it was nice..but not many people were there. Oh wait, before that we went to the Sultan's Palace, where this awesome photo was taken :P
This picutre makes me really happy. In Oman, alot of the men hold hands, but only the pinkies, and if you look really close, the two men with the colorful clothing are holding pinkies.
Yesterday we had day two of our orientation, and then we went for lunch in a traditional Omani place, and then...WE GOT OUR LUGGAGE!!! And it became pool day at the City Seasons hotel, which was SO REFRESHING. It averages about 100-ish everyday, but it's sooo humid, which makes it seem way hotter. Yesterday was not that exciting. :D
The last picture of the night, Muscat bay. It's so pretty. With this I will leave you, wonderful readers. Until tomorrow, if I'm not too tired!
We woke up at around 9, and I had a slight dilemma. I couldn't find my shoes anywhere. This is a problem, because unlike at home, I only have 2 pairs of shoes here. Oh well. I still can't find them...hopefully they're in the room somewhere :/
Anywho, we first headed to the American embassy. We went with a taxi, and he initially brought us to the English Embassy...which was slightly funny. Oh and on the way to the embassy, the song "Down" came on the radio and EVERYONE was singing along. It was great.
We got to the embassy, and that proved to be slightly exciting. We got briefed by some foreign service officials about security, Ramadan and the American Embassy in Muscat. They were all very helpful and nice, but I felt that the take home message was "If you get arrested, you're on your own", not that any of us would ever be arrested, inshallah.
After that, we finally got to Amideast! For those of you who do not know, Amideast is NSLI-Y's partner in Oman and in Morocco. (Hi Katy!!! I know you're reading this) The coordinators are awesome people. We got there, and had lunch. I apparently cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of spicy food, as I have found out here. Everything is SO spicy. In reality, it's really not, I just cannot tolerate it...oops. We also finally met our wonderful teachers. They are honestly some of the awesomest people I have met here....I also haven't met that many people :P
We proceeded to take our placement tests. Here is how mine went:
Do you speak any Arabic?
Nope.
None at all?
None.
Ok. Why did you decide to do this program?
Because I absolutely love learning new languages...
What other languages do you speak?
Italian, English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
So you wanna learn them all?
YES. I want to learn all the languages.
Why Arabic?
Because I've wanted to learn it since middle school, kinda always seemed mysterious to me.
So are you better at memorization or understanding?
Memorization for sure, but I can also understand...most of the time
And that was that. We then broke up into our FGLLS. (Hi Jerry, we all know you love this word). It is the Facilitated Group Language Learning. We are separated into 3 different groups and each group is "moderated" by an Omani college student. Our FGLL person is SUPER sweet, she taught us so much Arabic today (only the pronunciation since we don't know the alphabet yet). My favorite word is "goodluck" We laughed for about a good 5 minutes when she pronounced it. I don't think the State Department would approve of me transliterating it on my blog...(I know you're watching), so I won't. But it's quite funny.
After the super duper amazingly fun lesson, we went on a city tour. It was pretty fun, and we went to SO many places..that were still in Muscat. It's so spread out along the coast, I had no idea.
We went to a beach, and I took some pictures of Omani guys playing soccer, and some other ones..
This little coffee shop was on the beach, and Omanis LOVE mountain dew so much...it's quite funny
This is my favorite picture, these men standing at the beach just talking. I love it...and I can't explain why.
I LOVE KIWI JUICE!!! It tastes like Guava, but it's SOOO GOOD!
Then we went to the Souk, and it was nice..but not many people were there. Oh wait, before that we went to the Sultan's Palace, where this awesome photo was taken :P
Story behind this picture: My friend was taking a picture of me in front of the Sultan's palace, and this little Omani boy stands next to me. His father proceeds to take a few pictures of the both of us, and then tells the little boy to move, and tells me that now I can take a picture alone in front of the palace.
It was the most adorable thing I have ever seen. On top of that, the Omani culture is the most friendly culture I've ever come in contact with.
After that..we went to the Souk. Finally. It was not as crowded as I thought it would be, and I finally mastered the art of taking pictures with my DSLR without having to look through it, so I kinda hold it at my waist and just take pictures. It's really fun :D
The shops are pretty awesome and there are SO MANY COLORS. It's amazing.
I wish I could post them all on here...but there are so many. So I'll post a few
I've also noticed that since there aren't many women in public, I end up having loads of pictures of men....
(these are all taken with my super-sly method)
This picutre makes me really happy. In Oman, alot of the men hold hands, but only the pinkies, and if you look really close, the two men with the colorful clothing are holding pinkies.
I love family shoots.
One of the shops in the Souq..it's so pretty
This was a wall in one of the shops. So colorful and pictureful.
Yesterday we had day two of our orientation, and then we went for lunch in a traditional Omani place, and then...WE GOT OUR LUGGAGE!!! And it became pool day at the City Seasons hotel, which was SO REFRESHING. It averages about 100-ish everyday, but it's sooo humid, which makes it seem way hotter. Yesterday was not that exciting. :D
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Any reason for the white empty lines in some of the blogs? The pictures are really nice, by the way, especially the pinky hands holding.
ReplyDeleteNo reason, I think it's a glich in the system...sort of happens, which is really annoying.
DeleteThank you!
I discovered that you can read through the white by tilting the screen, which is kind of funny because it makes those lines like secret communication (it is like writing dirty white on white...). But at least one can then follow the story.
DeleteI copy/pasted the white parts to a word document to read them ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat's your "super sly" method of photo taking? :P
ReplyDeletePutting my camera on the camera bag, which is a waist height and then put my finger on the button and snap the pictures. super sly :P
Deletemountain dew and omani's go together like bread and butter. seriously, a common waiter joke is to ask, " let me guess, you want the national drink?"haha
ReplyDeleteAhah I noticed that, there are signs for mountain dew EVERYWHERE. It's really amusing
Deleteyou've only been to traditional souqs and gatherings so far? can't wait till you see the more famous landmarks! there are many tourism-specific locations (many not completed) and they are breathtaking!, not because it's hot, :s, they're nice and air conditioned.
ReplyDeleteWe went to Mattrah Souq, which was very nice. We are going to Salalah tomorrow for the Khareef festival, so that will be more traditional (I think) as well. We will be going to visit the Opera House and other tourist locations (again, I think) and we will also be going to Nizwa in one week.
Deletehttp://www.omanicuisine.com/ <- since you've been eating lots of traditional food, how about some insight into restaurants here? :)
ReplyDeleteWe are staying in Al Ghubra, which is apparently the "new center" of Muscat. The food is good, alot of Indian and Thai food. I've eaten at one "traditional" Omani place and it was SO good. The Shuwarma (forgive my spelling), which is meat cooked under the ground for 2 days, for those of you who don't know, was SO good. I love the food, also because I love Middle Eastern food
Deleteariel, you got that wrong! shuwa is the Omani dish cooked underground. shawarma is a lebanese sandwich (also very popular here) :P
DeleteOH NOOOOO. My bad. Ignore previous comment. Why do I feel like I know you? It's sorta close to Shawarma.... Now I feel stupid. Oh well. We all learn from our mistakes.
Delete